Reviews #28, 29 & 30 - The End.

Review #28 - The City Pit Stop - Central Baking Depot 1 x $2.70, 6 x $12.50, Score 2


This city bakery is a refreshing find among the cafes and restaurants in the Wynyard end of town. Sometimes you just want baked goods. And HCBs at that. These HCBs are not really much to write about though. They have a mix of fruit and peel (not the biggest peel fan) but not much spice. Good looking bun with lovely glaze. Doesn't reheat awesomely but does taste good with butter. For the price, I think you could use that money to buy better tasting HCBs. But if you are on the go through the city, this isn't a terrible option.

Review #29 - SpongeBob Square pants - Boundary Road. 6 x $4 (I think). Score 1.

 I wrote about these last year and and the score has gone down. They are very soft and by the time I ate these, I had accidently squashed them in the epic car drive on holidays so there is no picture (sorry). They are soft but when heated up and buttered they don't really improve with taste. The price puts this firmly below our benchmark of Coles. I have seen these in Harris Farm but it has been reported that they are available in Woolworths, except they don't sell. Because the Woolworths one is cheaper (and tastes better). I suggest just stay away from these unless you are desperate.

Review #30 - Good ol' country baking - Bakehouse on Wenworth (Leura) 1 x $2 or 6 x $12. Score 3



Going on holidays doesn't stop me from continuing my community service! On our epic road trip I was able to stop by at this bakery in Leura and sample their HCBs. This was a lovely bun. Good mix of fruit and spice and soft. It wasn't exactly test conditions but I enjoyed the treat with my family and some old friends which really is what helps make the eating enjoyable - the whole experience!

So, after months of eating hot cross buns, the time has come.  Like all good parties, it's time for everyone to go back home and the clean up (of my waistline!) to begin. May the 30 HCB reviews (3 up from last year and a definite record for me) provide you a helpful insight into which HCB to enjoy this Easter.

In summary: Best:Local celebrity Doletti's at Waremba but also go for the HCB loaf at Bourke Bakery (if you can get your hands on them!) and check out Aldi for your every day HCB needs. 


Thank you for playing along with me. I love the interactions with people that this hot cross bun blog has brought out. Special thanks to those who bought me HCBs, recommended buns to me or taste tested with me. Special mention to my beloved sister in law, Nepal Trekker Girl, the ever supportive Magic Music Woman (aka, best neighbour EVER), Balmain country-mum, One Note Wonder Woman, Jacaranda Hunter, The Fantastic Mrs Woo-meister and Mrs Accounting-love.

I'm feeling especially blessed this Easter with so many lovely friends, wannabe followers and my family. For the Christian, Easter is a celebration of the greatest blessing ever received; Jesus dying on a cross (as displayed on the HCB) and coming back from the dead to give everyone eternal life. I hope you have an Easter celebrating your blessings, big, small, sweet or savoury. Until next time, sweet eating!

Comments

Popular Posts