Bonus Reviews - Franken-Bun Apple and Hot Cross Bun donuts

Now, I am known to be a purist when it comes to HCBs. And I am very proud of this fact. However, I do confess that I have been distracted by the increase of apple and cinnamon various (which have reviewed before).

But thanks to the Nepal Trekker Girl, I have a done a review for those who are intersted:

Bakers Delight Apple and Cinnamon bun (not sure of price. A little gift!)




A really sweet bun (which I like!). It is a really great combination and a smaller, less sticky and less extended version of an apple scroll, which is all good. These buns are a really great variation and can tempt this fruit HCB fan away from the traditional. There have been reports that some have come with uncooked apple in them so I suggest you watch out. I like that these are soft buns with a good apple and spice mix. Obviously you have to like apple. Might be good for those who don't like sultanas (looking at you Jacanda Hunter).

Short Stop Hot Cross Bun 1 x $5.50




These sound strange and I confess, you are well within your rights to consider this was a bad idea - crossing a Hot Cross Bun with a donut.  Many fellow traditional HCB fans like HCBs because they are not sweet like the chocolate HCB. So putting the fruity, spicy HCB with the sweetness of deep fried dough seems wrong. But it is SO RIGHT!! This is definitely sweeter than a HCB but it has all the yummy goodness of HCBs. The icing tastes like just extra glaze (without the stickiness). And the crispy fried outside gives it a lovely crunch.  I was really surprised that they got the fruit and spice taste of a HCB into a donut. This is amazing-balls but the sweetness means you probably can't eat a whole one (unless you have a particularly sweet sweet tooth). It is best for sharing (thanks for sharing with me Nepal Trekker girl) and special treats.

Comments

Popular Posts