Review #24, #25, #26 - how any more can one woman eat?

It would seem I can eat more. 3 more to be exact.

Review #24 - The perfect cafe companion -  Jamaica Blue, 1 x $2.50, score 3.


When I found myself with an hour to fill between meetings, a hot chocolate and a hot cross bun from Jamaica blue seemed to be the perfect morning tea. The bun is very attractive and though it wasn't ideal test conditions (toasted not zapped) it was lovely bun, with a good mix of fruit and spice. I wouldn't go to Jamaica Blue to buy a 6 pack to take home but I would definitely stop by for my HCB fix.


Review #25 - Ugly ducking that has not become a swan - Pattisons, 1 x $2.50, 6 x $9.90, Score 1



These buns are trying to go for the hipster, rustic, authentically baked HCB look.... but just failed.  I know I am being harsh on the score but I really would prefer a Coles HCB over this. Due to the high cost, the ugly looking bun and the over powering amount of peel, I would suggest you avoid this bun. Just don't bother.  Pattisons is such a pretty bakehouse but maybe go for another sweet treat instead.

Review #26 - Balmain's Beautiful Buns - Bertoni's, 1 x $3.50, Score 4. 


This place is known to do HCB's all year round, with crosses! Not just HCB's that go under cover 11 months of the year but proper HCBs, free to be who they really are all year round. This is definitely a good thing in my books. I was introduced to this Balmain institution by Balmain country-mum. We were joined by the Magic Music Woman in a lovely re-enactment of last year's HCB date.  Sunshine, cups of tea, coffee and hot chocolate, cute baby and beautifully baked, golden, slightly toasted HCBs with butter - all the ingredients for a great morning tea. There is a lot of other places nearby offering HCBs, including the famous Adriano Zumbo, but Bertoni (who's HCB's are supposedly baked by Zumbos all year, but obviously make them differently). But Bertoni win the best HCB in Balmain! These are a very attractive looking bun, with a good fruit and spice mix. Sadly, not sold in the half dozen, but if you are ever walking past in Balmain, this is the place to stop by for that morning coffee and eat at HCB.

Comments

Popular Posts