Review #23 - what you have all been waiting for Adriano Zumbo HCBs

A Sydney HCB review would not be complete with out sampling the sweet delights of the sugar king himself, Adriano Zumbo. The man who put macaroons into common Australian pastries and makes the most amazing salted caramel anything must surely know how to do hot cross buns, right?

Review #23 - The sugar king Zumbo Hot Cross Buns 1 x $2.20 - Score 2



I really wanted to like these buns. They have an attractive, rustic look, all stacked in the window of the pokey Balmain store. The look doesn't match the taste and texture sadly. Tough, no real fruit, no glaze and amazingly hard.  With some tough competition in the area I would of thought it might of turned up the softness and texture of these buns. These also don't reheat. If you buy, eat on the day. And you probably need to toast them and lather in butter.

Actually, for the price, just skip the fruit buns and head to the frankenbuns. Yes. In this case alone, I am moving from my purist view and saying go to the frankenbun hot cross bun versions of chocolate and the salted caramel offered by Zumbo. You will see why......




Salted Caramel HCB

I was really worried these would not be good. Salted caramel can be done so badly. It can taste like a bad slimey version of those caramel chew lollies with the white stripes. But I realise, how could I doubt Zumbo? The bakery that introduced me to magic of salted caramel through their macaroons (I don't like macaroons as a rule, but AZ's salted caramel macaroons as amazing!) know how to do salted caramel right. And this sweet & salty goodness oozes (figuratively and literately) in a crossed bun form. And it is beautiful. Sadly, these are not available all the time so you need to get in quick. 

Dark Chocolate and Cherry HCB

Now, I am well-known for not being an advocate for the chocolate hot cross bun. Just too sweet for me. But these dark chocolate and cherry hot cross buns are really something else. The bitter dark chocolate offset the sweetness of the cherry and the chocolate bun and makes all of it go together. Heated up a little in the microwave, some of the choc chips melt, producing lovely gooey bits of chocolate as you eat. I am nearly converted!!

And, for something different:

Hot cross bun macaroons!


Trusting Zumbo to go all out by extending the season of hot cross buns to their famous zumboons. Now, as previously mentioned, I am not the biggest fan of macaroons. However, I do like salted caramel zumboons. And, I have to say, that the HCB version doesn't work for me. The sweet crusty tops and the spiced cream in the middle do not really work. Plus, really, they are quite difficult to eat if not in one big bite. You could probably skip this.


Comments

Popular Posts